Thursday, August 13, 2009

Meet my friend......"Mildred"

Her name is......."Mildred."

The name Mildred comes from the Old English name Mildpryð, which means “gentle strength.” As an Anglo-Saxon name, it has the slightly different meaning of “gentle advisior.” Mildred was the name of a Catholic saint.

It's an old name for an old friend.
Because that's how I think of her.....as an "friend" who I have known for many years.
When I was a little girl......I used to gobble up crispy fried chicken, with backyard grown green beans on her.
And she was kind to me, beautifully looking up at me with her flowers and gold painted rim.

OR many times...she patiently held me and my sister Jenny's favorite meal which we loved.
"Freshly caught catfish that my Grandfather had just fished out of the Mississippi river."
She would be smeared with ketchup and fish bones on those days and yet, never complain.
Many times my Grandmother would serve us on these dishes as a "special treat."

But now that treat is mine.
It's "my turn" to serve others on these dishes, just as I was "served" in years past.

It's good to pass on things that we hold dearly in our hearts and minds. Our "traditions, special memories, thoughts, beliefs, etc."
To not only our children, but to our children's children and to friends and neighbors.

I will give you more information on "Mildred" next time we visit. There's more to say you know.
Always is.

No comments:

Post a Comment