Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Two Dresses passing in the Light

As I was walking home from Cafe Nell down 12th avenue about to cross the street to enter my building I nearly bumped into a woman wearing last summer's Lily dress. It was the first time in Portland I have ever seen anyone else wearing Mayle. I was taken a back. The dress looked fresh and pretty. On her feet were shoes with a pop of color. I always loved Lily but white? I would have destroyed it. I never noticed til I saw it on this woman how beautiful the back of the dress is.

Le sigh.

I was the polar opposite of this woman wearing my black Beatrice dress from fall 2006, with gladiator sandals, rushing home, book in hand to run some errands that included a trip to the post office, the organic dry cleaners to drop off my Kiyoko dress (it has some sticky area on it where I believe there was once tape?), take shoes to be repaired and my Santa Theresa dress to be repaired (my underarm had a rip at the zipper and I haven't worn it).

Some things I found out today.

1. Patience is a virtue. I always bitched and complained about dropping off my shoes at Dorian's as they take WEEKS to come back. The one time I took my shoes to Shoes on the Run (quicker- not cheaper) it turns out that they STAPLED them. They are my favorite retro looking Prada's from Spring 2007. Dorian's is cleaning up my black patent Mayle flats, and took the staples out of the Prada's. I don't get my Mayle flats back until August 4 but I know that they will look as good as new. Yes it pays to be patient.

2. No matter when you drop something off at the tailor, its not going to be ready until that day. I stopped in at the Alteration Station (conveniently located across from Shoes on the Run) at 12 to see if the jacket I was having repaired and the alterations on my Gia cami were complete. They weren't and they are both supposed to be ready at 3PM. I am hoping both pieces haven't been butchered. I probably shouldn't have cheated on Gein's BUT the price at the Alteration Station was half of what Gein's would have charged me.

3. If you ask, you may get the answer you want. I lost a piece of hardware on my Bianca dress. Jane is busy closing the office and I asked if she had any extra of the piece I needed. She did, and is popping it in the mail to me. This was the highlight of my day. I love that dress and no one here could repair it without the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment