Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Heard The News Today, Oh Boy....

Its Tuesday but it may as well be any other day, the beginning to a what seems like a long week. I have finally started getting my doctor appointments in order - which is a good thing, slowly, one-by-one I am parting with $20 co-pays like $20 is the new $1 and hearing good/bad news (in no particular order) while trying to potty train Max (who some days is game, but most days says "no mommy wear diapers").

Today I went to the dermatologist after reading what had to be the most scary/frightening article on skin cancer in the May issue of Glamour. I know that these articles are meant to inform you, but what I read made me so scared and freaked out that I actually speed walked up hill about 18 blocks to the Dr's office. Max's babysitter is still on vacation, so he came with me and again it was the game of the Dr interacting with Max and me having to fight for the medical attention. As it turns out, as you get older you get more moles/spots and as I reach 37 this year I am really concerned. The Dr said that all my moles were fine and I didn't need to come back unless I was worried about something. It made me feel like maybe I was wasting time: mine, his, the insurance company for processing a claim... obviously he didn't say this and was as nice as can be but the sad thing is, if I hadn't read that stupid Glamour article I wouldn't have obsessed and panicked.

After the dermatologist I had about 2.5 hours until my NEXT Dr appointment which was in the same neighborhood. I walked around, looked at some shops, and Max fell asleep (he has been going to bed at 9 and waking at the crack of dawn). I had over 2 hours to waste so I went to Pizzacato and had a Greek salad and a coke and read a trashy chick lit novel ($12) after spending over an hour there I walked up to the Gap to see if they still had the Pierre Hardy for Gap sandals (they didn't) then walked back to Lovejoy and 22nd to see my ENT.

The ENT gave me good news and bad news. The good news was that the polyp was gone but whats wrong is that I have a nasal cyst causing all these infections. the bad news was that yet again I am taking a heavy duty course of steroids for 8 days along with ANOTHER 14 days of antibiotics. I hate putting all these drugs into my body but what can I do? The doctor did not mention surgery again and believes that this cyst can be shrunk with the combination of flonase 2xs a day, steroids and antibotics. Taking all this medication has started to get me down. I can't enjoy a glass of wine because alcohol mixed with steroids can cause intestinal bleeding (and I learned this the hard way) and I can feel how run down and unresponsive my body is reacting to the antibiotics. With the exception of an occasional Coke Zero and my daily latte, I am trying to eat much cleaner (no fried food, lots of greens and salads and fruit). I am hoping that after I see the doctor again on 4/28 there is some resolution.

Around 1:30 Max woke up, (while I was at the doctor) and after wards we walked to Rite Aid to buy a padded envelope (1.99) then to the post office to mail a package ($5.65) then over to Cupcake Jones for a carrot cake cupcake for max and a thin mint one for me ($4).

Back in the house I am relishing sitting on the couch while Max plays car wash, but am a bit sad that I am missing the Glasvegas show tonight at the Wonder Ballroom. Jon bought us tickets but the girl who babysits for us in the evening flaked, and now Jon is going with a co-worker and I will be at home, with some old Law + Orders to keep me company.

I am thinking around 5 of taking my Sylvestre dress over to Gein's for alteration, then maybe taking Max out to dinner even though I have spent enough dough today....

No comments:

Post a Comment