Sunday, November 8, 2009

Finishing The New Amy Sohn


Last night I stayed up late (til 11- scandalous) and finished the Amy Sohn book which I started on Friday. I thought the book was OK, not great. I felt that some of the story lines were a bit weak and she would start telling a story - it may last say 2-3 pages and then you would never hear about that character again. I was also not a fan of how the book ended. Its a good "beach read" or if you are a quick reader and have a few hours you could probably power through it in 2-3 hours but ts one of those obvious cliche chic lit books (which are my guilty pleasure).

The one issue that I had with it beyond what I have previously mentioned was that none of the characters are really that likeable - there was one (the hasbian mom) but as soon as she started getting interesting, Sohn made her appear needy and sad and I just didn't picture that as a characteristic of that particular character. I also think she was a bit extreme with the celebrity mom - who seemed to be a mix of Jennifer Connolly, Michelle Williams and Britney Spears. Its really tough to read a book that sort of hits close to home (only in the sense that right now I am an unemployed mother) and not actually care about or feel anything for the characters in the story line. I don't want to give anything away - It was a great escape and well written but at 397 pages I would have preferred a story that was wrapped up just a bit tighter.

There is a great review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment