Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stolen Identity

Today its 90+ degrees and gorgeous out. This morning I went for coffee with Kathryn then came upstairs to start my research on two stories for Neighborhood Notes (yes, yet another non-paying gig, but what is that they say about idle minds). I went for sushi for lunch, wandered downtown to Nordstrom tried on the YSL #39 dove gray nail polish that is apparently COMPLETELY sold out everywhere which sucks because the color is GORGEOUS.

I went home, then met up with Tracy to go for a walk. We went to Canoe, where I bought two really great glass jars. I went to pay for them with my debit card and it was declined. IMPOSSIBLE I thought, I just checked the account this morning and it was fine. So I paid using my other debit card then called the bank.

After being immediately connected to fraud, it turns out that someone somehow got my debit card number and was trying to use it at a Wal-Mart in Ohio on about $289 worth of merchandise. Thankfully my bank noticed that I rarely use this card - I mainly write checks on that account and declined the transaction. I feel really violated. It makes me not want to use my debit card. This is the 2nd time that this happened to me in 3 years (last time was in NYC and HSBC contacted me IMMEDIATELY - someone tried to spend $5,000 at Sears Optical and then another $600 on tires).

For now my bank account is safe, but I now worry about using my card for any transaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment