Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Overworked and underpaid?

6 months ago I would have told you that I get paid too much for what I do. Mindless filing, data-entry, answering phones, glorified recepetion work so to speak, all for the wage of an entry-level-with-experience Executive Assistant in downtown Vancouver. I get paid fairly decently, I think, for a 40 year old woman who didnt finish highschool. (umm.. I am not 40, and I graduated highschool... this is purely hypotheical)

Today, I will NOT agree with that statement. Every day for the past two weeks I have come home achy, bitchy, grumpy, and every other word that ends in 'y' that describes something unpleasant. I wouldnt go so far as say I am completely unhappy... but more like frustrated with the amount of things I am doing in a short period of time, the expectations that are being placed on me, as well as the amount of OTHER PEOPLES work I am doing to save THEM time. Really, I am not an assistant. I am not even a receptionist. I am NOT a slave girl to pile work on just because I smile at you and don't tell you to shove it everytime you walk by with something more for me to do. I actually have a title. A title that in no way contains the word ASSISTANT, or RECEPTIONIST.

Just this morning, I was interrupted TWELVE times (ya, I counted) while I was frantically trying to get something done, in order to do something for someone else.

Now usually, one can argue that it is really my responsibility to let said co-workers know that I have enough things on my plate that I cannot find any room for theres, or that I may be able to get to it later, but here...at this office.... I really can't do that. It seems as though, unbeknownst to me, that I signed a contract outlining my job description, that was so VAGUE that I am basically at everyones mercy. Fun stuff.

So now, at 4:00 pm on a Tuesday, I am sitting here at my desk admist a humming fax machine, and whirring photo copier and a buzzing printer.... all with an achy back.... all of which are forming MORE WORK for me to do before I get to leave at 5pm to sit in disgusting traffic to get home at 6pm with an even achier(sp?) back from sitting in my car. Fun stuff.

The life of a middle class suburban worker bee was just described above.

My life is SAD.

I SUCK

No comments:

Post a Comment