Thursday, December 8, 2011

José Luis López, a Cuban cartoonist that pokes fun at Uncle Sam


Tracey Eaton, of Along the Malecón fame, has posted some very funny cartoons by Cuban cartoonist José Luis López at his second blog creation, The Cuba Money Project. You will find four of them below, and I will attempt to give you a colloquial translation. I never give literal translations. I got in big trouble with my high school sweetheart when I sent her a card with the corsage for the Senior Prom at Lincoln High School in Portland, Oregon. I have lost track of her. I would probably still be married if I had wed Gretchen.


#1: The scene: two Miami gusanos (worms) are talking talking to each other. The one on the left says: "We have not been able to kill Castro!" The one on the right replies: "But we have captured and eaten a lot of funds from the U.S. Treasury Department."


#2: In the top frame of the cartoon, we find Uncle Sam sitting at a desk labeled SINA. That is a Spanish acronym for Sección de Intereses Norte Americanos. In English it is USIS, "United States Interests Section." He tells the "contractor" who is standing in front of him: "This is for sabotage inside Cuba." The contracted person replies: "Yes, Sir!" In the bottom frame we see the contractor leaving the SINA building. He says to himself: "Yess! Now I have enough money to go shopping."


#3: We see Uncle Sam feeding a sack of dollars into a Journalist Robot who is standing in front of a microphone, while he reads from a paper labeled "Anti-Cuba Campaign."


#4: The Grim Reaper is standing by the side of a coffin which contains Uncle Sam, who has a ban-aid in his nose. He laughs and says: "You are the one who wanted to see the death of the Cuban Revolution!"

No comments:

Post a Comment