Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Returning home from deployment.

Well, after some time, lots of paperwork, equipment turn in, and countless suicide prevention/civilian "reintegration" briefings I am finally home.

What a year it has been. A lot of ups and downs and unique experiences I won't soon forget but, boy am I glad it is over! Hopefully, now that I'm home with not a whole lot to do for the time being, I can ease back into blogging. After being out of the political loop for so long, all the 2012 election hoopla is a bit overwhelming I must say. I will say this...it was nice not hearing Obama's voice in the TV everyday over the past 10 months!

As far as this post goes, I'd like to just highlight a few things from the past year in Iraq.

Being face to face with terrorists-
I will say my job was a unique one, and one that most deploying soldiers do not experience. On a daily basis I was face to face with the "worst of the worst", 200 detainees in the country of Iraq, including a Hezbollah commander responsible for the beheading of 4 US troops, Al Qaida operatives, Saddam Hussein's regime officers, and even Saddam Hussein's half brothers, one of which looked eerily similar to Saddam himself. When I first arrived boots on ground and had to deal with these guys I will admit, there was definitely an element of fear. One month later and continuing until the end of the deployment that fear was gone because I realized how these guys behave. Being in the prison with these terrorists was like working in a day care center. They whine, complain, cry, and LIE constantly to get what they want. Above all, they are cowards. You can see that with their tactics on the battlefield as well as how they behave in captivity.

Hearing the Muslim call to prayer everyday-
One of the most disgusting, revolting sounds I have ever heard and one I hope I will never have to hear again.

Hearing terrorists yell "Allahu Akbar"-
Even worse than above...

Good Muslims-
I had the opportunity to work with some very good translators who supported our mission and the war in Iraq. They were great, treated us well, and hated the inmates more than we did I think. "What do you expect from a bunch of killers," I remember one saying after a prisoner lied yet again. One translator in particular sticks out in my mind. I will not mention his name here. He stuck with us the entire year and became close to the unit as if he was a part of the unit himself. Contrary to what the media, and liberals, will tell you, there are Iraqis who love and respect our country and what we stand for, as well as what we did in Iraq.

Good prisoners-
Although most of the terrorists locked up were disgusting, vile pieces of human filth who deserve to die, there were a few good ones. "Reformed" I guess you could say. There were some that were kind, polite, and very respectful. One I do remember most was a former Al Qaida operative who, after being given an IV after passing out from the heat, said, "Shukran (Thank you), what you do here says great things about America." I will never forget that.

Proof of American exceptionalism-
One thing I just cannot stand is people in America and elsewhere who continue to say America is an imperialist nation, an evil empire, and "the biggest terrorist" in the world. Most of these people have never been overseas to the "conquered" nations. And I know none of these people have been in a facility where our enemies our kept. I will say, I have been there and seen how good America treats prisoners of war. What other nation provides known, captured, terrorists/enemy prisoners of war with top notch health care, including behavioral health?

Being in Iraq at the very end-
I am proud to say I was there at the very end of the war. It was uneventful, yes, but it was like being a part of history. It felt good to transfer the final prisoners to Iraqi custody, as well as the prison.

I could come up with so much more but this post will never finish. I will try and continue blogging daily from here on out.





No comments:

Post a Comment