Friday, March 6, 2009

Irish Cooking

It's nearly time to get your Irish
"Game ON".....

If you are looking for some new ideals for your St. Patrick's Day Dinners.....you might want to check out these two books.
"The New Irish Table"
By Margaret M. Johnson

~~OR~~
"Irish Traditional Cooking"
By Darina Allen


Our family has a "St. Patrick's Day Dinner" for guests and friends. We've done this for a million years or there abouts give or take a few years.

We always make what we consider to be "traditional" Irish Foods....Corned Beef and Cabbage. boiled Potatoes, and Carrots...Potato Rolls, etc.

I must tell you that I've traveled to Ireland and what we do in America, ummm....it's not the "real deal" actually. It is to Irish "Americans" but not in Ireland.
My take on is this....When in Rome and all that you know....

Actually Corned Beef is the part that isn't so "Irish" as we like to think it is...it's "American Irish."

In Ireland they use a type of "ham" in the place of Corned Beef.
However we being "American Irish"...follow the traditions of our families here in the new world.

My Father-In-Law in Iowa, made Corned Beef and Cabbage EVERY
St. Patrick's Day that I can remember and as far as my husband can remember before me.

So we have carried on that tradition as well and my little family LOVES Corned Beef and Cabbage and POTATOES. Got to have those potatoes of course.
It tastes SO GOOD!

We eat this dish all throughout the year when we have the oppertunity.

If you have never tried this dish before.....give it a chance.

I am always looking for new Irish dishes to add in for our meal.
Maybe you are as well.
Check out these new cookbooks if you'd like to.

Oh.....don't forget to enjoy a "Cup of Tea" during your reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment