Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Depression Doesn't Begin To Explain It :~(

For the past year and a half I have been anxiously awaiting retirement. This year is my 31st year teaching. I am 54.

According to my calculations, I would be able to retire at the end of the 2009-2010 school year, and be able to devote full time to my writing. My house would be paid off by then, and my reduced retirement check would pretty much equal what I'm taking home now minus my house payment.

I received the news today that the Texas legislature has changed the rules. I must wait another 4.5 years before I can retire with full benefits.

Oh, yes, I can retire next year with partial benefits, but after 30 plus years teaching, I'm not going to settle for less than 40%.

FOUR AND A HALF MORE YEARS.

I'm not just upset. I'm devastated.

No comments:

Post a Comment