Sunday, December 14, 2008

My 2 Cents on the EPPIES


Mima on EREC just posted this blog.


I'm going to take a dangerous turn and put my 2 cents in here, rather than respond on EREC.

For the past 2 years I have entered 3 of my books in the EPPIES. Of my 6 books, 4 have been designated #1 BEST SELLERS for my publisher, and ALL of them have received 5 stars/flags/blue ribbons/coffee cups/roses, what-have-you. They have excellent reviews on Fictionwise. Even RT gave me 4 stars. That's not to mention the Recommended Reads and Top Picks.

I have never finaled. And I will never find out why not.
Am I frustrated? Of course. Why? Because I wonder why none of my books were good enough. Because I wonder why they have done so well (and are still selling strongly), yet they're not worth any recognition.
Why do I think they failed to final? I cannot say because I will never see any scores (unlike other contests where you're given SOME kind of feedback). But I have some faint ideas why not.
Will I ever enter my books again? No.
Is this just sour grapes? Maybe. But remember I'm a teacher, and any time I have to grade down a child's performance, I must give a reason that will teach that child the correct answer AND boost that child's morale to where he'll WANT to try harder next time.
I'll stop now before I say too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment