Monday, September 13, 2010

Day Seventy: My Day Alone

Note the red banner promising "Restful Sleep" with an asterisk at the end.
What a load of crap! 

It's been a while since I've had the house to myself. With the kids in school all day and Dave away on a business trip, I had the luxury of sitting on the couch and reading the newspaper.

The only problem was that I was exhausted. Minutes after hunkering down on the couch with a glass of juice and the New York Times, my eyelids began to droop. Uh, oh. Time for a nap so soon?

No, I didn't waste the day napping, though that would have been a great way to pass the time. Sleep is such a rare commodity these days that I should seize on any and all opportunities to catch some shut eye. But certain things should be done in daylight, like driving and grocery shopping--or so we are led to believe. And I hate feeling as if I wasted my day, so I hopped in the car and ran errands.

And now it's bedtime. And I can't sleep!

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine suggested valerian root to help me with my insomnia. He warned me of it's noxious odor, but I still ate the pills. Call me desperate. I would do anything at this point to get some sleep: stick needles in my eyes, put a bag over my head, anything. So a few pills that literally smelled like crap weren't going to put me off. No, sir.

It worked for a few days, then my insomnia decided to kick into overdrive and the recommended dosage was rendered useless. I think that I may try mixing my homeopathic remedies tonight and attempt a little witchcraft.

Or maybe I'll just give up and become a zombie...or actually go to a doctor. Yeah, that's it. Now why didn't I think of that before?

Because I am sleep-deprived and not thinking straight. In fact, I shouldn't even be writing right now.

I'm stopping. Now. Right...now!

No comments:

Post a Comment