Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day Ninety Six: Sundays

My lil peanut playing flag football.

A typical Sunday in the Morgan household revolves around sports.

If we're not rushing from one kid's game to another, then we're buying gear for upcoming events.

Trading in used equipment.
Sometimes it makes me crazy because I find myself sitting in the passenger seat of our car, watching the world go by.
Yep, that's me.
I don't think we've ever just kicked back and did absolutely nothing on Sundays. But that actually sounds a little boring to me. 

It's all about rituals and expectations. These are what Sundays are like for us, what they've been for the past 4 or 5 years. In the beginning, I found them exhausting and wished for days that did not include racing around town to fit everything on our schedule. Sometimes, to make life a little more interesting, a birthday party or family dinner was thrown into the mix. And I had to prepare wardrobes for everyone--occasionally, Dave included--ahead of time so we could jump out and then into the appropriate clothing. 

To use (how appropo,  I know) a sports metaphor, life has thrown me a couple of curve balls this summer, and my sense of what is normal has been sadistically skewed. I've questioned the meaning of family for months now.

This evening I made a chocolate cake for dessert.



This is what Sunday is all about. The chocolate cake at the end of the day. We run around like maniacs, hoping for a sweet reward when all is said and done. 

I've made this cake a thousands times before, and I'll gladly make it  a thousand times again, if it means enjoying our Sunday rituals together.


No comments:

Post a Comment