Tuesday, December 14, 2010

$#*! my Dad says..

Have I been living under a rock?! How could I NOT know this sitcom existed, and better yet, not know about their absolutely SPOT ON casting?!

Seriously? William Shatner?

Priceless.

Ok, so I havent seen an episode, only a short trailer from something like "next on..." blah blah... but even with only that 25 second snippet I was mesmorized (as well as doubled over laughing) and it left me yearning for more.

So $#*! my Dad says started out as twitter feed in August fo 2009 from Justin Halpern, who at the time was a semi-employed comedy writer who liked to post quotes from his Dad, and it went viral from there. In less than a month he was mentioned on the Daily Show. Fast foward only a few months and CBS was announcing the TV series (read: I must have been living under a rock to not have heard this!) It was green-lighted in May 2010, and now is airing on CBS Thursday nights.

Here is a snippet of the plot:

Ed is a very opinionated 72-year-old who has been divorced three times. His two adult sons, Henry and Vince, are accustomed to his unsolicited and often politically incorrect rants. When Henry, a struggling writer and blogger, can no longer afford his rent, he is forced to move back in with Ed, which creates new issues in their tricky father-son relationship. As weeks go by Henry is unable to find a job as a writer, mostly due to the lack of good material. He finally lands a job, when during his interview Ed interrupts with an irrational phone call that sparks the interest of the eccentric editor conducting the interview. Henry is ultimately hired, but forced to continue living with Ed in order to be able continue to write about his father's unsolicited rants, hence the title "$#*! My Dad Says".

First, William Shatner. Best man for the job. NUFF SAID. But I am also loving Nicole Sullivan as Bonnie and Will Sasso as Vince. Two phenomenal Mad TV alums that I think we just don't see enough of, and paired with William Shatner must be PURE BRILLIANCE!

Again, I haven't seen an episode, but based on casting alone (and the premise, I HAVE read the tweets) this sitcom has my vote for an Emmy.

I don't care which one. Just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment